UTERINE RUPTURE happens when the muscular walls of the womb tears during pregnancy.
Causes Of UTERINE RUPTURE
- Any surgery on the womb e.g. C/S (Cesarean section), myomectomy (removal of fibroid), etc
These surgeries leave scars on the womb and when a woman tries to push during labor can cause the womb to tear along those healed scars.
- If the womb is stretched too much due to too much amniotic fluid or more than one baby in cases of twins,triplets etc.
Complications Of UTERINE RUPTURE
- Blood loss for the mother
- The unborn baby is always more at risk as he/she spills out of the womb into the abdomen with no supply of oxygen. If the baby is not delivered within 10-40minutes, death due to lack of oxygen could happen.
Treatment Of UTERINE RUPTURE
- There are cases where the womb will have to be removed to stop bleeding, and some others the womb would be surgically repaired.
- Transfusion of blood to replace lost blood.
- Deliver baby surgically and place on oxygen immediately.
Prevention Of UTERINE RUPTURE
- Register for Antenatal Care (ANC) and pay attention to your doctor